Except where stated otherwise (e.g. when the copyright of photographs is retained), you are free to reproduce any of this work for non-
© Mike Haken & RRRA, 2018
Buglass, J. , Phillips, J, Wilson P.R. ,(Forthcoming) Report on the Excavations at Brooklyn, Norton.,
Corder, Philip & Kirk, John (1928); Roman Malton: A Yorkshire Fortress and its Neighbourhood; Antiquity, vol. 2, 1928
Kitson Clark, Mary (Ed.) (1934); Roman Yorkshire, 1933; Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol. 31, part 124, pp. 382 -
Kitson Clark, Mary (1935); Roman Roads in East Yorkshire in Roman Malton & District Report No. 5
Kitson Clark, Mary (Ed.) (1936); Roman Yorkshire, 1935; Yorkshire Archaeological journal, Vol. 32, part 128, pp. 459 -
Margary, Ivan D. (1973); Roman Roads in Britain, John Baker, London
Robinson, J. F. (1978); The Archaeology of Malton and Norton; Yorkshire Archaeological Society, Leeds
North Riding of Yorkshire
This road is usually omitted from modern maps of Roman remains in Yorkshire but there are actually very good grounds for regarding it as genuine, at least in part.
In the early 1930s, Dr John Kirk investigated an old course of the road leading west out of Malton, known as Braygate (Kitson Clarke 1936, p.463). His work focused on a length of causeway near Easthorpe House (now Easthorpe Hall), where seven trenches were excavated in the field immediately north east of the House.. The best preserved remains were in a trench 30ft (9m) from the eastern edge of the field and revealed a road 21ft 6 ins wide (6.5m), with the road metalliung laid on a layer of sandstone rubble. There were rock-
A second site was also excavated, about half a mile to the west between Hepton Hill and Head Hag, just on the south side of the modern road, in an area now covered in trees, although the road here was narrower at just 16ft (5m). There were no ditches, and the metalling of limestone pebbles was only 6ins deep laid directly on the natural surface -
Two years previously, Corder & Kirk had excavated a raised linear feature near Brandrith Farm, just to the west of Castle Howard (Kitson Clark 1934 pp. 382-
The line of the road, the precursor to Braygate, aligns perfectly with Malton fort, and could lead directly from the west gate. Alternatively, it could possibly be the road that Corder and Kirk said lay beneath Yorkersgate, which they claimed was itself a branch from the Roman road beneath Castlegate leading from the south gate , although their report gives no source for their information (Corder & Kirk, 1928). which they contended was the southern part of the road to Hovingham, RR814. Both the Castlegate and Yorkersgate roads are said to consist of limestone blocks set in cement, similar to construction of RR81a in Norton excavated in 2017 (Buglass, Phillips & Wilson, forthcoming) and claimed from at least two other sites in Norton in the 19th century (Robinson, 1978) .
As to where the road could be heading, that is more problematic. Projecting its alignment westwards, it actually follows a very well chosen route along easy ground between some more undulating and difficult terrain, until reaching Dalby Bush Beck, just west of Terrington. From here, there appear to be two possibilities; either it turned west north west towards Grimston Grange, Coxwold, and then joined RR80a near Thirsk or, perhaps more probably, it could have turned slightly very south of west towards the Roman town and Civitas capital of the Brigantes at Aldborough (Isurium Brigantum). The recently discovered length of road on the north east bank of the R. Ure at Aldborough (Millett & Ferriby 2015), apparently heading to a crossing of the R. Swale at Helperby could potentially be part of the same road.
Roman Sites on Route:
Historic Environment Records, HE Pastscape and other records
Entry prepared by Mike Haken. Last updated, 21 December 2017
3.7 miles identified, total distance not known